Gameloft Posts Q1 Earnings, Sherlock Holmes Rights

European mobile gaming publisher Gameloft posted its first-quarter earnings report today, reporting a 22 percent gain in revenue at $40.5 million compared to $33.26 million over the same period last year. Mobile games accounted for 94 percent of total revenue, with the remaining 6 percent attributed to console games.

North America led all regions, accounting for 37 percent of sales — a 57 percent gain over last yet — trailed by Europe at 35 percent and the rest of the world 29 percent.

Gameloft attributes its growth over the past year to its strength in the iPhone market, in addition to its Java and Brew mobile applications, according to a company press release.

The company also announced a licensing agreement with Warner Bros. to develop mobile game for the upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law and directed by Guy Ritchie.

“Sherlock Holmes is a household name spanning multiple countries and languages. To have this story updated as a modern action film by such premier talent will make the story of Sherlock Holmes more relevant than ever,’ said Gonzague de Vallois, senior vice president of Worldwide Publishing, Gameloft. ‘We are confident our powerhouse development team will capture the spirit of the film for fans and gamers alike.’

As of market close in Europe, Gameloft was trading roughly even.

Recent Stories