Earlier today, we happened upon a great editorial on Mobile Orchard called “Five Tips For Getting iPhone Reviews.” It’s by MarketWatch’s Jim Bernard, and it runs through the cardinal rules devs should follow when pitching their apps/games to review sites.
In short, the five rules are:
1) Provide complete information. We want to know how long an app’s been out, how much it costs, where to find it on the App Store, and, of course, who YOU are.
2) Start with a great description. Keep it concise and pithy! We don’t want to read paragraph after paragraph of florid marketing text, nor are we interested in reviewing “a cool new puzzle game.”
3) Include a promo code. This is a big one. You have fifty codes to give away, and this is one of the most important things you can do with them. We are not usually inclined to ask you for a code.
4) Make a great video. Another biggie. A clear, professional YouTube showing off the gameplay is a fast, effective way for us to check out a game. In fact, if the video’s good enough, it may earn you coverage all by itself.
5) Put your best app forward. Don’t send us anything that you’re not 100% confident in. If it sucks, we’ll either ignore it or tear it to pieces.
Words to live by. Thanks, Jim!
[from Mobile Orchard]